Recent Posts



Attending School as a Tourist: What B-1/B-2 Visa Holders Should Know Before Enrolling at a School in

Individuals on a B-1 or B-2 visa are not permitted to participate in academic studies while in the United States. If a B-1 or B-2 visa holder would like to study without departing the United States, they must acquire F-1 or M-1 status. B-1 and B-2 visa holders can file Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status with USCIS to change their current visa status to a student F-1 or M-1 visa. Prior to April 5th, 2017, I-539 forms would be readily approved as long as the applicant maintained lawful status of their B-1 or B-2 visa on the date of filing and if they submitted a completed Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status, and Form I-539. Applicants

Court Decisions Ensure TPS Holders in Sixth and Ninth Circuits May Become Permanent Residents

Ramirez v Brown in the Ninth Circuit established that TPS holders have ability to adjust their status under 245(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. If an individual entered the United States without inspection, they will now fulfill the inspected and admitted or paroled requirement that was previously implemented. The Ramirez and Flores decisions will currently apply only to those whose recent travel to the United States was without inspection. Individuals who have been previously admitted into the United States before TPS would not need to follow this ruling. To adjust ones status, the TPS holder must; Have entered the United States without inspection before TPS Currently hold a vali



310 720 8009


411 West 7th Street Suite 310
Los Angeles, CA 90014

©2017 by The Law Office of Nicholas J. Mireles. Proudly created with