top of page

Coronavirus Travel Restriction: My visa is about to expire and I can’t go back home. What should I d

It is important to remember that If you remain in the United States longer than authorized, you may be barred from returning and/or you may be removed (deported) from the United States. To confirm what day your visa will expire please check the date in the lower right-hand corner of your Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record. We recommend that you apply to extend your stay at least 45 days before your authorized stay expires.

The admissions stamp in your travel document or the I-94/I-94W shows your nonimmigrant status and the length of time you can legally remain in the United States. Note that the admissions stamp in your travel document or the I-94/I-94W shows how long you are permitted to remain in the United States, but your nonimmigrant visa (if a visa was issued) does not. A visa only shows when and how many times you may seek admission to the United States from abroad based on the classification noted on your visa.

You may apply to extend your stay if:

  1. You were lawfully admitted into the United States with a nonimmigrant visa;

  2. Your nonimmigrant visa status remains valid;

  3. You have not committed any crimes that make you ineligible for a visa;

  4. You have not violated the conditions of your admission;

  5. Your passport is valid and will remain valid for the duration of your stay.

Please see the list of the countries that have restricted travel here to access the updates from the State Department.

If your visa is about to expire and your country is on the list of restricted travel or your flight was canceled our office can help you and your family with instructions and information to extend your visa and stay legally in the USA during this difficult time. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any immigration related questions or concerns, as we are happy to provide free initial consultations.

About Us

The Law Office of Nicholas J. Mireles is an experienced Los Angeles based U.S. Immigration law firm has been practicing immigration law since 2013. Our background makes us uniquely well suited to help you with any type of issue relating to your immigration status.

Law Office of Nicholas J. Mireles, APC

411 West 7th St. Ste 310

Los Angeles, CA 90014

bottom of page